Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

Spastic She Bull In A China Shop


Hey y’all and happy Monday, I hope your weekend treated you well! We got a little battered and bruised here in the mid-west with some pretty power packed storms. My thoughts go out to those who were more greatly impacted by this season’s moody weather pattern. From my mouth to Mother Nature’s ear, let’s have things calm down a bit.

Today is Monday… a seemingly normal and perhaps dreaded day for many. It’s the start of the preverbal work week grind. It’s the farthest possible day from the weekend, I can’t even see Friday night at this point. Monday is one of those I would happily vote to eradicate and replace with Funday (think of it as a Sunday all hopped up on skittles and caffeine), a quirky extension of the weekend. BUT… for me this Monday marks a milestone of epic proportion.

Today me, Ms. Asthma, Ms. I Ran A Mile On A Treadmill Once (it really REALLY wasn’t pretty), is going to jump on the 5k wagon. Well, maybe not exactly on the wagon, more like being drug behind on a rope that I barely nabbed as the wagon raced by me. Today May 20th, 2013 this girl is lacing up her running shoes for not just a walk… but interval training.

GASP

Yup, I know, I will wait for the shock to wear off. Take your time; I’m in no rush…… Okay has the shock and giggle fit worn off? Fantastic… moving forward.

Day 1 of 5k training also means Day 1 of forming a new habit. I am in NO WAY (zero, zilch, nada) in the habit or accustomed to running. I am a certified cardiophobe. Embracing a bit of my inner Geek I can’t help but wonder, how many days until pounding the pavement becomes a habit and not something I have to set a reminder on my iPad for? How many days until I will reach for my shoes without having to think about it? So I turned to my dear friend Google Chrome.

According to a study published in the European Journal of Social Psychology, the average time for a task to become automatic was about 66 days…. 66 DAYS! 66 days and here I sit the morning of Day 1! Le Sigh!! However there are many studies that suggest if you can get a full month under your belt, things become a bit easier. That’s a little encouraging… right?


(Google Junky)

I’ve got to stop googling things.

So okay Day 1, you aren’t so scary, just a new challenge and adventure in this story that I’m writing. If it takes 66 days, then I’m looking forward to getting Day 1 locked in. I’m going to be using the Couch to 5k training model (I’ve tried this once before and it lasted oh…. About half a workout), here’s training Day 1.

5k Training
5 min- walking warm up
60 seconds- jogging
90 seconds- walking
60 seconds- jogging
90 seconds- walking
60 seconds- jogging
90 seconds- walking
60 seconds- jogging
90 seconds- walking
60 seconds- jogging
90 seconds- walking
60 seconds- jogging
90 seconds- walking
60 seconds- jogging
90 seconds- walking
60 seconds- jogging
90 seconds- walking
5 min – walking cool down

If I can get started on this road I know you can too. Take the challenge with me and let me know how your adventure is going in the comments. I may look like a spastic she bull in a china shop. I may pass out on the side of the road clutching my inhaler. I may cry like a little girl at the end of Titanic. BUT…. I will get this bought of being fat skinny under control and FINALLY be able to run without passing out.

So if I happen to cross your mind this evening and you’re in a cheerleading sort of mood, throw some positive running mojo out into the world for me.

(The Happypaloosa Project UPDATE)

Friday I wrote about being kind to those around you and to leave a trail of smiles in your wake. I took that post and harnessed some major dedication to leaving the world a better place than the way I found it. The first way I can do that is by using kindness in my tone every time I speak. Too often in the past I would have a sharp tongue and snarky tone without giving it a second thought, that doesn’t work for me anymore. Truth, I’m not sure how it has worked for me this long. Perhaps being faced with losing someone I care very deeply for has served as an eye opening experience.

So I’ve become very mindful of both thinking before speaking and using a soft pleasant tone with everyone I come in contact with. This includes the ole boyfriend, the kiddos, co-workers (no matter how batty they make me), or telemarketers. No matter who the person is waltzing around me, they will receive nothing but warmth. Life is way, WAY, too short to be spent knocking other people down on any level. It’s too short to waste away being stressed or worried as well. Smiling, why the heck not. I’m typing this with a smile, probably a goofy frog looking one, because I can’t think of a single reason not to.

Let me extend that challenge to you as well. Be kind and avoid a tone of voice that degrades or belittles. Something as simple as “What do you want to do for dinner?” can sound like “What the heck do you freaking want to do for gosh darn dinner…. Idiot?”…. Think about it, anything can have what I call the implied stupid. For example you say “Where’s the dog?” but because of your tone of voice the person hears “Where’s the dog……stupid?”…. Do you really want to be the person that makes people feel an inch tall, I sure as heck don’t. Be the light that attracts people to you, not the doom and gloom that sends people running for the hills.

Habits / Goals
Here are the goals / habits I am currently working on. I’m interested to see exactly how long it takes for each to become a habit. I will give updates on how each are going and how many days I am along my path to forming a new habit.

UPDATE TIME….

THP (The Happypaloose Project) Working Habit: Speak in a voice that is kind only! By doing so I hope to uplift and encourage myself and those around me. 3 DAYS SUCCESSFUL!

SF (Skinny Fat) Working Habit: 5k training in accordance to Couch to 5k, with minimum 30 min walk on alternate days. FIRST DAY 

No comments:

Post a Comment