Pages

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Dear Allergies, I Think We Have to Breakup

It's that time of year again where the birds are chirping, the sun is shinning and those darn flowers.... trees..... grass..... weeds.... and everything else is pollinating. Oh joy! Now please don't get me wrong, I love this time of year. Nothing gets me more thrilled that shaking off the winter coats and being able to walk outside barefoot without the risk of frostbite. My issue is with all these spawning plants, my face has swollen to the point I look like Quasimodo.... at least he had a bell tower to go hideout it. 

B bright and early this morning, I'm sexy and I know it

All joking aside I'm not a big fan of medication, heck I don't even like to take aspirin. I blame that on my mother who told me growing up that all medication would send me into anaphylactic shock and land me on a gurney.... that's only half true. I am allergic to Penicillin, Amoxicillin, Bees, Sulfa, Morphine, The Color Orange and lightning bugs. Needles to say this kid here tends to be allergic to a lot. So I avoid medication as much as possible. With that said the rib shattering sneezing, itching eyes that I may scratch out, throat that makes a clucking sound when I try to itch it and nose running like Niagara Falls... I'm a big ole hot mess.  

"Running" has become a bit tricky. I'm sneezing and wheezing and have had more than one person ask if I'm "hanging in there". Yeah, "No, no I'm not. Want to give me a piggy back ride back to my house? No... Why?". I'm a bit tired of being puffy, wheezy and snotty like a pug puppy so I've turned to googleizing. I'm confident the interwebs will help me kick this allergy seasons butt, so I can stop looking like this when I try to hit the pavement.


What Google taught me about the, evil cruel sometimes funny because it makes me look like a Disney character allergies from doom. 

NetiPots are apparently my friend. I take a mini tea pot and make magic water... then dump said water through my nasal cavity so it goes in one nostril and out the other. Yeah, um, no, that's not happening. With my luck I would find a way to choke or suffocate and didn't come guy get a brain eating bacteria from water up his nose a few summers ago.... NEXT.

Perilla Oil is supposed to be helpful too. A study done at Japan's Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine found that the herbal extract perilla oil could squash allergic reactions. It is also supposed to sooth itchy eyes ( so I don't have to scratch them out and wear a pirate patch, arrrrrr) and relieve sinus symptoms (bye bye looking like an old lady with tissues coming out of every pocket). It also showed to help with wheezy, asthma sounding breathing problems in less than a week, asthma girl says what? WHAT!

Honey and Lime Juice. Find some local honey (local is best, remember this tip... if it comes from a bear just say no) and a nice bright lime. Add the honey and lime to a mug of warm water. Sip and enjoy. This is said to be one of the best ways to ease allergies. Although some studies suggest the honey is most affective when it is used the weeks leading up to allergy season.... well drat!

My conclusion, it's time to head to good ole CVS and find some allergy medication. This girl right here is going to be a lake bunny the rest of the week and my swimsuit doesn't provide many places to store tissues. Plus I'm horribly behind on my running schedule. Time to bite the bullet and medicate. 

So allergies, "It's over, it's not me... it's you.... really! Don't call me!"

Do you all have any allergy tips? Share them in the comments, I'm willing to try just about anything. 



No comments:

Post a Comment